Gaining Thief Mastery VERY slooooooowly

Enter the Tavern, take a seat, order a drink, and get ready for chatter!

Gaining Thief Mastery VERY slooooooowly

Postby Visstar » Thu May 04, 2017 6:42 pm

OK, my thief, Flambeau, made it to 10%, slowly, but now it's slower than ever. One of the main ways she gains practice points is to hide in shadows, but now that she does it automatically, she gets no credit for it! (I tested this in actual combat; she started hidden, killed all the enemies from the shadows, and had the same number of practice points as she had at the beginning.) And there aren't nearly enough chests lying around to get her the almost 8900 points she needs for full (99%) mastery. Any tips on gaining thief points that don't involve hiding in shadows? E.g., go to the Rogue Retirement Home where they have hundreds of chests to practice on? 8-)
May the Vishanti guide me through this eldritch maze!
Visstar

Re: Gaining Thief Mastery VERY slooooooowly

Postby Utopian » Sat May 06, 2017 11:50 am

Keep moving your rogue in the shadows until theyre at 90ft
Utopian

Postby Visstar » Mon May 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Could you clarify, please? If she is in the shadows, she can move further away, is that what you're saying?
Visstar

Postby Visstar » Fri May 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Flambeau has slowly worked her way from 10% to 14% using this strategy. We spent some time in Horon's Sanctuary and the Old Bone House smashing our way through enemies and opening chests. When we got rid of the more dangerous enemies and faced only a group of lesser foes, like Brain Eaters or Haunted Souls, she used a safety wand to push them away, then shot arrows at them until she was no longer hidden, then pushed them further away again and hid in shadows for practice points. Wow, was that tedious. I'm still doing the normal thief things to get her practice, since she still needs help opening 10-button chests, but not really going out of my way to get her practice, because it's too tedious and there are more important things to do, like blowing that ship to hell.

Suggestions for improving the rogue:

1. It's harder to hide from a foe that's close by than a foe 90' away, so award practice points in the reverse order, giving more points when hiding from foes at 10'.

2. Award practice points for hiding automatically at the beginning of combat.

3. Award practice points for striking an enemy from the shadows (or, if you prefer, award points when striking and remaining hidden).
Visstar

Postby Wascalwywabbit » Mon May 15, 2017 11:00 am

Every time you hide you move further. If auto hide put you at 10' then choosing to hide again will move you up to 20' and so on every round that you hide up to 90'. Add this to lock picking. Way easier than falling out of combat generally.

I personally don't mind the suggestions, but Mario seems to like repetition, not as much as wizardz mind given hus crazy playing, but still.
Wascalwywabbit

Postby Professor1028 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:31 am

@Visstar - I was just thinking about this EXACT thing, lol.

I recently acquired the "Thief Mastery" skill and have been doing my best to hide as much as possible in combat (going as far back as I can on the battleground), but that skill still climbs SOOOO slowly. I have loved this game to this point and will always admire Mario's efforts and the final product, but I don't think I have the time or energy that it takes to get my rogue(s) up to 99% mastery. I'm not sure how others have found the patience to do so... :)
Professor1028

Postby Visstar » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only one, prof.! i finally gave up and finished the expansion with my thief at just 15%. I guess she'll never become a DC .... unless there is another expansion, of course ..... :)
Visstar

Return to Gossip - The rusty dagger tavern