The Rogue - Intro Guide

Here you will find player contributed guides and help topics.
femaiden

Re: The Rogue - Intro Guide

Post by femaiden » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:45 am

so now...is 99% the maximum for all skills? i mean, i have come across things that even with 99% skill, i fail at.
i have a level 31 character with 99% identify and she is a highman getting +30% to identify and i'm finding loot that she still can't identify.

so that that mean there are just some items that are impossible to ever identify unless you go to the store and pay in gold?
does the +30% stack onto to the 99% to make 129%?

i noticed i made a hobbit rogue and at one point, it had 109% open locks but i was finding chests in inferno that she couldn't pick. the last tumbler always stayed red. i had to use a dietrich to pick the lock.(i just ended up using trap zap on every chest making the rogue pretty useless in the inferno).

wizardz

Post by wizardz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:09 pm

If you use a lock pick
Spoiler
Show
it will remove a pesky all red tumbler.

femaiden

Post by femaiden » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:33 am

wizardz wrote:If you use a lock pick
Spoiler
Show
it will remove a pesky all red tumbler.
yeah, i know that...what i was asking, is that the only way to open the later chests? since even with 109% its still not enough?

in fact..regarding my earlier post, it seems that the rogue is more of a liability in the inferno since it's hp is so low, you waste a butt ton more healing trying to keep the rogue alive and its pointless to take the rogue along for lockpicking since all the chests can be trap zapped and its pointless to take the rogue for their perception, since all the secrets are still invisible so the rogue is utterly useless once you reach inferno.

wizardz

Post by wizardz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:57 am

However as a Master Thief Dragon Caster in the sequel, the rogue becomes awesome...

And yes, apparently there are some chests that are impossible to pick at any level...

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:25 pm

It's cheating a bit, but -- well, it's actually cheating period, so I'll make it a spoiler.
Spoiler
Show

To get your rogue to open 10 lock chests easily and hide automatically before combat begins, buy him or her the "Master Thief" skill. When the guild master sends you to Karilan Andur and you pass the waterfall in the Lost Forest, you can make a side trip to Watertop -- if you have already purchased the expansion and have 10 rubies! -- and buy this skill. From then on, all your hiding and lock picking gains you experience. Each 100 points of experience gains you 1% on your Master Thief skill.

Hide over and over again throughout combat and open a lot of chests -- Horon's Sanctuary Is a great place to do this -- until you have accumulated about 12-1300 points, then go back to Watertop to "level up." You'll be amazed at how much more useful your rogue is in Inferno.

As for the advice to avoid ranged weapons due to their lack of critical hit capabilities, this must be from an old version of the game, because now a hidden rogue can critically hit with any bow, and the odds improve dramatically with the Dragonbone Bow, which can be found
Spoiler
Show

discarded in a junk pile on the Ridge Fault, 7 squares east and 4 squares south of the entrance.
May the Vishanti guide me through this eldritch maze!