The Rogue - Intro Guide

Here you will find player contributed guides and help topics.
chrlpolk

Re: The Rogue - Intro Guide

Post by chrlpolk » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:49 am

icetear wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:00 am
The game is based on the Bard's Tale 1-3 and the Bard's Tale Construction Set.
What was the thought behind half-elves becoming high-men and half-orcs becoming barbarians? Is that a translation thing, or just done for the illustrious backstory which is barely mentioned in-game?

icetear
Site Admin

Post by icetear » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:50 pm

That change was made to fit into the background story.
The background story was provided by a friend of mine who invented* Tarnak and a complete Pen & Paper Roleplaying Game around it ;-)

kind regards
Mario

(* he told me that some parts of his work were adopted, so I am not sure who holds the copyright
Silversword - the CRPG for iPhone+iPad now on the AppStore!
Please visit us on http://www.silversword-rpg.com
iTunes Link: http://itunes.com/apps/silversword

Solmage

Post by Solmage » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:06 pm

Well can’t speak for anyone else but I personally love multiple combinations. I don’t mind halfling being ‘the best’ rogue but I’d like to suggest...

- elven rogue, for those whose idea of stealing is from the corpses of the enemies that never saw them half a mile away :D
- barbarian rogue, for the Conan rogue fans! (Would the to-hit bonus work with javelins? I’d imagine not, which is probably ok)
- halflings (maybe change the open lock bonus to a small % bonus chance to hide or start hidden at the start of combat, stacking with master thief?)

I’m ambivalent on a human rogue. Can’t hurt I guess. (Would prolly have higher hitpoints in modern than other races so wouldn’t be much worse than the other options, so there’s that)

While I’m suggesting pies in the sky... I just realized how much fun I’m missing out on by not having a summon slot in my party. So much of the game’s cool summon and intra-party conflict never gets experienced, at least in the first game w/out expansion. Or the powerful but less sturdy summon gets killed or disbelieved etc etc. Soooooooooo I’d like to suggest the special slot “S” like bard’s tale 1 used to have. I realize it might be too much but if it does work I think it’d add a fair bit of fun to the game and make certain strategies very valid, like 1 sorcerer rush or 1 wizard rush, without planning to dump those rushers eventually.

Ah well, can always dream I guess :)

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:05 pm

icetear wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:50 pm
The background story was provided by a friend of mine who invented* Tarnak and a complete Pen & Paper Roleplaying Game around it ;-)

kind regards
Mario

(* he told me that some parts of his work were adopted, so I am not sure who holds the copyright
A nail is driven into the coffin of the dream of a sequel!

You’ve got a certified classic now, Mario! Vintage, sparse forum, and uncertainty over rights - trademarks of a GoG “Remastered” candidate! (And how I wish this could be ported to a PC!)