Monk and rogue

Here you will find player contributed guides and help topics.
Justinj

Monk and rogue

Post by Justinj » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:43 pm

I'm wondering if the monk and rogue are good to have in your party. Monk seems to be an underpowered warrior ... Low hp. Is there anything good that a monk might bring to the table at higher levels? I'm currently lvl 8-9. Do any other classes besides rogue detect traps or sense hidden? That seems to be the only real value of a rogue.

Nimue

Re: Monk and rogue

Post by Nimue » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:34 pm

A monk at higher levels is melee damage personified. The low HP are compensated by a high AC bonus due to dexterity - my monk has a better AC in her wool shawl than my warrior has in his Iron Plate Mail.

Whether or not you want a rogue in your party is mostly a matter of personal taste. They may be underpowered, but I never leave home without one. As one might guess by my choice of avatar, I'm slightly biased though.
No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulderblades will seriously cramp his style. --Vlad Taltos

Justinj

Post by Justinj » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:38 pm

At level 9 my monk does about the same dmg as my warrior. Does the monk start to do more dmg than the warrior later on?

Nimue

Post by Nimue » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:33 am

Definitely. Of course, it will depend to some extent on your warrior's equipment, but my level 39 monk does about 50% more damage bare-handed than my level 41 warrior does with his Andursteel Katana. I've found that the few available weapons for monks (battleclaw, throwing star, staff) are basically useless, bare-handed attacks always do more damage, except maybe on low levels.
No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulderblades will seriously cramp his style. --Vlad Taltos