Do I Need a Bard?

Enter the Tavern, take a seat, order a drink, and get ready for chatter!
Professor1028

Do I Need a Bard?

Post by Professor1028 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm still fairly new to this game. My characters are level 12 and surviving (mostly). Right now I do not have a Bard (I did at one point but switched him out). My party consists of:

Warrior, Monk, Paladin, Hunter, Rogue, Conjurer, Magician

I just keep getting this feeling that I will regret not having a Bard at some point. Should I have one? Or maybe a better question is... will I end up needing one and then regretting not having one this whole time? If anyone is getting swapped for the Bard, it would be the Hunter or Rogue (probably the Hunter though).

Suggestions?

Xanderfell

Re: Do I Need a Bard?

Post by Xanderfell » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:15 am

I don’t know if you need a bard but I would highly recommend one,. Definitely over a hunter, later in the game the bard songs are extremely helpful and the instruments are amazing for doing group damage.

Professor1028

Post by Professor1028 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm

Got it... thanks!! I actually ended up swapping out my Warrior for the Bard. While she was doing a lot of damage, I like the critical hits that my Hunter is able to do.

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:09 pm

While not strictly necessary, a bard is highly recommended. You will appreciate the healing and energizing songs, and later in the game you will find some instruments that will prove very handy!

I never played with a hunter, but may try this when I start the game again one day. FWIW, barbarians also have critical hit ability, so you could play with a barbarian warrior instead of a hunter.
May the Vishanti guide me through this eldritch maze!

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:56 pm

Visstar wrote:I never played with a hunter, but may try this when I start the game again one day. FWIW, barbarians also have critical hit ability, so you could play with a barbarian warrior instead of a hunter.
Tried it, didn't like it. The hunter has an interesting set of skills, but the bottom line for me was that a barbarian warrior was better at melee and a hobbit rogue was at least as good at ranged weapons, plus added lock picking. For me the ideal party is:

Barbarian Warrior: eventually becomes a Dragoncaster with a silversword
Paladin: solid melee fighter with unique spells, one one who can use the Stone Blade
Monk: best fighter in the game but needs a couple of thugs in front due to low HP
Bard: marginal melee fighter without a Singing Sword, but unique song skills and good HP
Rogue: usually a hobbit, good with a bow (from hiding), picks locks, detects danger
Magic user: magician -> conjurer -> sorcerer -> wizard -> archmage
Magic user: conjurer -> sorcerer -> magician -> wizard -> archmage

Professor1028

Post by Professor1028 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:12 am

Thanks... I appreciate your advice! I do like the Hunter’s critical ability (didn’t realize that barbarians have it as well so may swap out the Hunter with a Warrior that I’ve already leveled up). One of the things I like most about this game is that you can try different combinations of characters to see what suits you.

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Absolutely!

One thing I am learned is that while a barbarian does has critical hit capability, it doesn't match that of a hunter. I still take the warrior over the hunter in melee, though.

One day I'll try the game with a hunter in place of a rogue, to see how well magic users do with sensing danger and opening chests. The hunter would be a perfect #4, with the bard moving out of melee to #5 where (s)he can use horns more safely.