Sorcerer, iOS Wizardry Clone

Enter the Tavern, take a seat, order a drink, and get ready for chatter!
Visstar

Re: Sorcerer, iOS Wizardry Clone

Post by Visstar » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:39 pm

P.S. the map has a lot in common with the original, but different enough to get you lost! :oops:
May the Vishanti guide me through this eldritch maze!

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:40 pm

P.P.S. icetear: How about doing a "Pool of Radiance" clone? ;)

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:21 pm

Once I got wise about the Coin Farming on level 2 (which was in the original game, but I had forgotten about it until the rediscovery), I used that to fully upgrade. Just for the sake of diversity, I used Knight, Samurai, Ninja and 3 Bishops. Took full advantage of the backup/restore feature to make sure my characters gained the right attributes up by level 13. I had considered maxing out all spells (having everyone learn both wizard and priest spells) but ultimately decided fighting coins wasn't that much fun! It's totally unnecessary, and the only benefit is having extra castings of certain spells. like the map. At a certain point, you're mostly fighting/turning or running.

When you get to the lower levels there will be items that cast spells when used, it should note it in the item examination. Of course, give those to your back three, since the first two games don't have ranged weapons.

For maps, I would hit the home button while the map was still up, go back to the game without the spell point used. It made me learn to get along without a map until I was lost or until I went to find secrets (if there's a large black space on the map, chances are, there's a way to get in there!). There is an item which will cast the map, but while it's limited uses, you can get more after battles. Once characters started learning Teleport, I fully explored each level, then the only thing I had to remember was how to get to the next stairs! (And if you teleport into rock, immediately exit the app and restart the out party, same thing works for pits, traps and teleporters.)

Another trick/cheat (and potential setback) is that the shop remains unchanged after you restore your game from a backup. There's nothing unique in the shop you can lose, you will eventually come across the flame sword in battles for instance, so don't panic if you bought something, restore, and it's not in the shop. (If you're not far in, you can reset all data, which will reset the shop, too.) The trick is to backup your game, sell rare items to the shop, then restore your game. Your restored game will have the items in your inventory, while the shop will still have the items too, which you can purchase and give to other members. Repeating until everyone has the best weapons and armor is unnecessary until you get ready for that final plunge, though, because you will eventually just get more of them in battle.

AND - I second the request for the Pool of Radiance clone!

icetear
Site Admin

Post by icetear » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:45 pm

Visstar wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:40 pm
P.P.S. icetear: How about doing a "Pool of Radiance" clone? ;)
funny that you mention it. I am playing it right now (https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_real ... ection_two).

There are games that you might manage to create as a single developer... and there are the others.
The SSI titles - as well as Wizardry 6+ - are "the others" ;-) As much as I would like to play these games on a mobile device... I don't have the means of creating one of those.

kind regards
Mario
Silversword - the CRPG for iPhone+iPad now on the AppStore!
Please visit us on http://www.silversword-rpg.com
iTunes Link: http://itunes.com/apps/silversword

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:05 pm

Well, I'll be! Thanks icetear! Even though they are exe files requiring me to install DOSBox on my Mac to play them, and even though I probably will never get around to doing it, since my iPad is the only thing I play games on, I still bought the collection. Maybe when I retire I'll play them. :)

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:28 am

I haven't used a Mac since my college days in late 1990's! If you ever get to using the PC versions, there's a Gold Box Companion which is pretty neat with those older games!

https://gbc.zorbus.net/

Unfortunately it is PC exclusive.

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:11 pm

Well, after quite a slog, my second team rescued my first team and defeated Deahtead six times. (*) I'm ready to move on and downloaded Sorcerer #2. However, I noticed that while there is a 1, 2, and 4, there is no 3. Is it just me or is that weird!? :cry:

* My first party, with six characters, set off a teleport trap and wound up stuck outside Daethead's office door before they were strong enough to face him. I had to build up a party of five that was strong enough to get through level 6, pick up one stranded party member, kill the evil wizard, and do it again five more times!

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:37 pm

There are several reasons offered why #3 was taken off, but I can tell you the actual one, having played it partially. The translation is just horrible! As in, you can't finish it, what "clues" are there might as well not be, and even after you stumble on solutions by accident, it still makes no sense how the clue/solution are related. Weapons are mistranslated, causing confusion especially with ranged weapons. Characters are meant to be imported, the expected starting level is 20+. You can make new characters that start at 1 and get slaughtered in the first fight, unless you use the pre-made characters and put new characters in the back row (and hope enemies don't use long range attacks or spells). By the time I got to #3, I had already played the much improved #4, and just couldn't bear it.

#2 is SO much better than #3. Just like the first game, you can look at maps and clues of "Knight of Diamonds" and get a general idea of what to expect.

You can import characters, but it knocks your characters back to level 1 in their current class and they lose any other class magics gained, so I typically just rolled new characters for each game.

Let me know what you think once you get into it!

Edit: But if you just have to see for yourself, there are instructions online for how to change your region. Change it to Japan, download the app, and change it back. But seriously, the game is awful compared to the others, so don't beat yourself up if you quit after the first level and just jump into #4!

Edit #2: Also, take a moment to go into the System menu to find an online manual of the game, including a backstory and spell list!