Do I Need a Bard?

Enter the Tavern, take a seat, order a drink, and get ready for chatter!
rakenan

Re: Do I Need a Bard?

Post by rakenan » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:46 am

I can hardly imagine playing the game without a Bard. My play style relies heavily on obliterating enemies with magical artillery strikes, and those really drain the spell points. The Bard is the only practical way to top off my fuel tank at a reasonable rate.

My team was:
Dwarf Warrior -> Dragoncaller
Human Paladin
Human Bard
Hobbit Rogue -> Dragoncaller
Gnome Magician -> Conjurer -> Sorceror -> Wizard -> Archmage
Gnome Conjurer -> Magician -> Sorceror -> Wizard -> Archmage
Gnome Conjurer -> Sorceror -> Wizard -> Magician -> Archmage

I'm pretty sure I got my caster class changes right - the last one might be from my most recent Bard's Tale team, though. Doesn't matter much once they hit Archmage anyway.

My Paladin uses Alchemy, and my Bard has a collection of offensive instruments to use. But I still rely heavily on Sodar's Wrath. Someday I expect I'll get the spell mastery to 100% and be able to cast it free. Not anticipating that any time soon, and honestly I should focus on Armageddon if I'm going to be that stupid about grinding spell mastery. I mean, sure, it takes 150 points to get Armageddon to be free and only 90 for Sodar's Wrath, but if you're going to go full OCD on something like that, why think small?

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:33 pm

I agree. I'm keeping the bard. In fact, soon I'll try playing with two bards.

Right now I'm playing with two DC, and loving the rogue DC casting from hiding and still earning master thief points. I'm considering dropping the paladin, though, and using a summoned creature instead, probably an astral dragon.
May the Vishanti guide me through this eldritch maze!

rakenan

Post by rakenan » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:32 pm

I keep my Paladin because I like his buff spells. He's honestly not that amazing, but the AC buff keeps my front lines alive better than the Archmage equivalent, and his to-hit buff is also nice for hitting those elusive foes. He's also no slouch in melee combat, with the Stone Blade for anything that can be petrified, and a Lance of Forgus to thrash anything else. My big weakness at the moment seems to be melee combat with things that cannot be crit or petrified. My Warrior Dragoncaller gets lots of hits with the Silversword and my Paladin is going to overtake her eventually, but Rogues and Bards aren't especially good against foes you cannot crit.

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:48 pm

Yes, it's the monsters that can't be critically hit, can't be stoned, and are magic resistant that make rogue, hunter, Silversword, etc, less useful.

I gave my Paladin the Axe of Souls and my warrior/DC the Staff of Storms for this reason.

I still have the Paladin in the lineup for the toHit bonuses. When (if) I drop her, I'll have a mage cast Giant Strength at the beginning of combat.
May the Vishanti guide me through this eldritch maze!

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:16 pm

The great thing about Paladin spells is that they don’t expire, except for camps and anti-magic zones. The Warrior’s few extra hits isn’t enough to overdo the Paladin’s spells, in my experience, and this is especially true in the expansion where things have massive HP and can take hits. I think it’s my play style, I had 3 Arches and a DC (off a Hunter so not so much melee) so I relied on magic for most things, crits on others, and prayers/curses/lucky rolls/save scums when all else failed!