On the house

Enter the Tavern, take a seat, order a drink, and get ready for chatter!
Visstar

Re: On the house

Post by Visstar » Tue May 12, 2020 5:22 pm

I think someone here played with a D.C. and multiple astral dragons! Not something you can do for a while. :)

I did play a little while with six characters and a summoned creature, just so I could have Gwyddon join the party. (As I recall, he was mostly useless.) Figurines are handy for this. The problem is, you won't have camaraderie for a while, and many summoned creatures are tougher than you are! My strategy was to use a summmoned creature for a while and dismiss it before it could get angry. Not very efficient, wasting a lot of figurines and spell points, but it got me through some tough battles.
May the Vishanti guide me through this eldritch maze!

MountainBard

Post by MountainBard » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:29 am

Like a bad penny, I am back. I got so stuck in the inferno that I actually gave up, but I came back to the game a couple weeks ago, solved the Inferno, and am now deep into the expansion.

It’s nice to see a friendly face still here, *waves at Visstar* It’s so sad that message boards have died out. We have Facebook largely to thank for that.

Anyway, hello to anyone out there. I’ll soon post a new pic of Holly and Ivy, who are now the producer and engineer, respectively, of my podcast, The Discworld Portal.
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled. -- Plutarch

icetear
Site Admin

Post by icetear » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:52 am

*wave* :-)
Silversword - the CRPG for iPhone+iPad now on the AppStore!
Please visit us on http://www.silversword-rpg.com
iTunes Link: http://itunes.com/apps/silversword

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:50 pm

Greetings MountainBard! Glad to see you got through Inferno. There were some wicked mazes in Silversword, but Inferno might have been the best. I believe I once referred to it as a masterpiece. Not just the maze, which was pretty tricky, but the whole ambience, Very eerie.

I agree about the board (and boards in general). I wish more people would discover Silversword. It's a much better game than so many others on the App Store. (E.g. Gaillardia.)
May the Vishanti guide me through this eldritch maze!

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:20 am

(The bard tunes his lute as he notices Estrella's company has returned to the bar.)

"Ah hem... The Maiden's Notice

A song for the Maiden Estrella
For whom I'd share my umbrella
May the rain never come again
But for this chance to compel'ah

(looks to Estrella, who is talking to her companions)

An accident, I tell ya!
My hand took a crabby chela
Oh my fate, what a mistake!
As her face blushed like rubella!

(Peeks over and notices a sharp glance from Estrella.)

I once noticed Estrella
In a gown trimmed in yella'
Twas what I seen through a hole in the latrine
As her bottom sang a'capella!

(Bard smiles with satisfaction, having gotten Estrella's attention.)

To tell of this maiden Estrella,
Who looked suspiciously like a fella!
Under the dress-
(bang! smack! sounds of lute strings snapping)

Two dwarves sitting at a table. One sings,
"There was a spoony fella,"
The other finishes,
"Who got his arse whooped by Estrella!"

The tavern fills with laughter. Someone shouts out, "Drinks on the house!"

The barkeep hollers, "Alright, calm down, you can't just declare 'drinks on the house' if you're not the bloody owner!"

Estrella slams the spoony bard's tip jar on the counter and says, "Drinks on the house bard."

Slumping up into a sitting position, the battered bard mutters, "Worth it..."
Last edited by chrlpolk on Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jemni

Post by Jemni » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:04 am

Hello wayward travelers. I just stumbled on this game about a month ago, give or take and just finished the Inferno myself. Many thanks to all the intrepid players who came before me to get me unstuck from many a jam. This forum has been a godsend and I so wish I had been here 8 years earlier. :lol:

icetear
Site Admin

Post by icetear » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:18 am

Hey, we're still alive ;-)

Jemni

Post by Jemni » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:55 am

Still alive or merely undead? LOL ;)

To expand on my lament, I had been looking for a game like this for years. And when I finally found it, it appears that it's past it's heyday of activity. But at least it's still working and I haven't found any bugs. Which is more than I can say for a lot of 8 year old games.

Any chance on another expansion or a spinoff of any kind? Wizardry went up to 8. Just sayin'. ;)

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:21 am

Jemni,

I'm going to give you some good news before I break your heart.

The good news is, you got to the game at a great time! I discovered this game about 2 years ago, and I had the exact same feelings. The forum was sparse, and I couldn't believe that I missed the heyday.

But the truth is - what you and I know as Silversword was the end result of many revisions. A deep dive in this forum reveals that many of the features I love most were not even in the original version! Suggestions were made on this forum and Icetear (a.k.a. Mario, the game creator) made his best implementations, and some things worked and others didn't. What you refer to as the "heyday of activity" was also the age of sour gaming mechanics experimentation. We have the luxury of skipping all those "tesing new things" updates, and we get to enjoy the best version as our sole experience!

Now the heartbreak. Earlier in this thread is a bard song about a sealed promise. That is not a work of fiction. In his cabinet drawer, Icetear has ideas, story components, and partial maps for another major expansion. What he does not have is the will/desire to plunge thousands of hours into coding. While it's reasonable for you and I to think that should he make the expansion, he will be a rich man, what with everyone having Silversword immediately purchasing it. Alas, I will forever be astounded by the lack of widespread recognition.

icetear
Site Admin

Post by icetear » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:13 am

he will be a rich man
if anyone of you happens to visit germany some day, we might meet for a cup of tea or a glass of beer and I will tell you how rich Silversword has made me ;-)

Advice: don't do game developing for a living :-p