Sorcerer, iOS Wizardry Clone

Enter the Tavern, take a seat, order a drink, and get ready for chatter!
chrlpolk

Sorcerer, iOS Wizardry Clone

Post by chrlpolk » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Has anyone played these game series Sorcerer for iOS yet? Like Silversword, I keep this on my iPhone!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sorcerer-1/id302868980

(THEY ARE FREE!!! As of now. Don't know if this is permanent or if price will be added eventually.)

They play just like Wizardry 1-3, wire frame and all! They are clones, but not exact ports. Level design, plots, NPC's are not the same, but follow a very similar motif as the Wizardry game it's based on. That's part of the fun! Since it's originally in Japanese, some of the translation is rough, but serviceable.

If you haven't played it before, and you're fans of Wizardry, get it on your iOS device!

Some general tips I learned the hard way:

On character creation, if I don't like the roll, I shake the device and it "rerolls". I spent a lot of time going back-and-forth through rejected characters before figuring that one out!

The game auto-saves after every battle. If a character dies while in battle, you can close out of the app and restart, and you'll be at your last save point.

The game comes with a backup/restore feature in the settings. If you get a horrible level-up that ruins your path to the class change you're aiming for, just restore to before you leveled up! (Just don't forget to backup before you visit the inn.)

If you've played this cool series, tell me what you thought of it? I don't code, like at all, but this app makes me want to learn so that I could do better English versions!
Last edited by chrlpolk on Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

icetear
Site Admin

Re: Sorcerer, iOS Wizardry Clone

Post by icetear » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks for the recommendation.

As a sidenote: I would almost kill for a Wizardry 7 iOS clone ;-)

So if you ever learn programming...

kind regards
Mario
Silversword - the CRPG for iPhone+iPad now on the AppStore!
Please visit us on http://www.silversword-rpg.com
iTunes Link: http://itunes.com/apps/silversword

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:44 pm

They don't compare to your Silversword game, of course, but how can you compare two legendary series like Bard's Tale and Wizardry??

Sorcerer #1 and #2 are based on Wizardry 1 + 2, and they have the same class requirements and weapons and such, meaning your back 3 characters cannot attack. For fans of the Wizardry series I recommend starting here, since you get the treat of comparing it to those games.

Sorcerer #3 isn't available in the USA anymore, which is just as well because the translation is the roughest of all of them to where it's almost unfinishable. (Ironic, since the first Wizardry games were hard on Japanese players due to Western culture references!) From what I could gather it's a combo of Wizardry 3+4. But it's got a lot wrong, poor weapon translations, etc. I didn't finish it. It introduces ranged weapons.

Sorcerer #4 is a great starting point because it includes ranged weapons, more spells, updated attributes system, NPC's with word banks, and it's based on Wizardry 5.

Sorcerer #5 is very loosely based on Wizardry 6 plot, and I mean very loose, and it's HARD because upper levels are nonstop teleport puzzles (and I don't mean the teleport spell!).

And for Sorcerer #6 the author does something nice for those who finished Sorcerer #1!

I really enjoyed your Silversword game, so as a programmer, I'd like to know your thoughts on the Sorcerer games, when you get around to playing them.
Last edited by chrlpolk on Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:22 pm

I went on the App Store to look for this and spent 20 minutes down the rabbit hole but could could not find it. Its it actually named "Sorcerer"? What's the name of the publisher/author?
May the Vishanti guide me through this eldritch maze!

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:47 am

The author's name is "Death=Head & Co".

They are listed with the scenario number like, "Sorcerer #1", so try searching that way (since Sorcerer is such a generic fantasy word).

Again, I must warn (and shout with joy), it's extremely old school Wizardry!

Edit: You can try this address
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sorcerer-1/id302868980

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:27 am

Another tip: The game auto-saves after using your map spell. What I used to do, to help preserve the spell points, is after a battle (the game autosaves) cast the map spell. Exit away from the app while the map spell is up (does not require "hard close", just return to the home screen). When you go back in the app, it restarts, so choose "restart out party" and you will return to just after the combat with the game not logging your map spell use!

In the later games (4-6) the option to search for hidden doors causes an auto-save whether or not you find one. Safe way to autosave without relying on a risky combat. (Casting a light spell searches for secrets in prior games.)

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:07 pm

Thanks, chrlpolk .... I started playing this and am having a retro blast. I remember now how frustrating the game was. I've had to quit and start over again a couple of times, the game is so hard. Like Kobolds and skeletons on Level one, and then ninjas and vorpal bunnies that can kill with one blow on level two.

The creator did a great job recreating the overall experience, but made some really dumb design decisions. E.g. I nearly broke my iPad shaking it to re-roll when creating creators (why not a "reroll" button???) and twice lost (as in, Where did it go???) a battle with Finnegan's Ghost because my knuckle brushed against the "Run" option while I was trying to press Fight or Parry. I seem to recall in the original, you chose Run as a combat option and had to process commands to run away. In this game, Run is immediate, not even an "Are you sure?" confirmation.

Anyway, it's interesting enough to keep me occupied until ice tear comes out with another expansion. :)

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:55 am

Yeah, I've had my share of accidental runs! The "shake" was likely made with iPhones in mind. I finished the first two scenarios before I realize you could do that! I was laying in bed, on the character creation screen, and I rolled 30 points! I couldn't believe it! So I sprung up with excitement and was like, "Why is it a 7 now?!" That's how I found that out. But by then I knew the initial points weren't really all that important, so long as I got at least 10 to max out the magic-related stat or Constitution. That said, once I found out, "shaking" made creating new characters so much more convenient! You can of course lug through the menus, create reject characters, steal their money...

In these games, running was considered strategic. So don't chance it fighting ninja and vorpal rabbits, run from those. Fight the coins! (They kept the bug where the coins do no damage!) Likewise, don't feel the need to fight every enemy, picking and choosing fights was part of the gameplay experience. Even if you're going for an evil team, you can run and still get credit for attacking the innocent.

Remember to backup your game often, in case you get that situation where your run attempt fails, someone gets crit'd, and you accidentally hit the run button and it exits battle. You can just restore from backup. I did this constantly (yeah, I know it's cheating) and because of that virtually never had any use for money, because in these games 98% of your money went towards resurrections.

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:14 am

A starter hint for Sorcerer #1 - At the start, run or turn skeletons. Focus on fights where you can use the "sleep" spell - much better to-hit and double damage, makes clerics hit like fighters! The ghost is difficult to hit and resistant to magic, so I wait until at least level 3. Reach level 3-4 on all characters, then look for an elevator hidden in darkness.

Take the elevator down to Level 2, and repeatedly go through the doors. Run from everything except coins. If you get caught in a fight after a failed run attempt, exit out of the app, restart the out party. It will get a bit tedious, but those coins do give massive EXP and doing a bit of this will help tremendously in being able to survive the next floors!

Finally, if you get stuck, look for Wizardry maps and walkthroughs. The maps will NOT be the same, but similar in design. Same with objectives, answers to riddles, etc. For me, having all the, "Oh, this was like that!" moments was part of the good nostalgia!

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:38 pm

Ah yes, the coins! Those, along with Murphy's Ghost and the Frost Giants (or was it the Cloud Giants?) got me through the game.

The worst thing about Wizardry was the in-and-out aspect of it -- no matter how good you were, you couldn't stay all that long because you only had 9 of each level spell and some of them were crucial, like the map spell if you got lost. So if you ever got down to just one or two of certain spells, you had to leave. There was no way to regain spell points. I think it was the Bard's Tale that finally got that right, with resting in camp and the ability to use your spell points on any spell you wanted, even if that was 20 map spells.

I've run a few times, but mainly when I'm almost out of spells. (BTW, running never gets you lost. I seem to recall in Wizardry that running could make you wind up quite far from where you started.)