Sorcerer, iOS Wizardry Clone

Enter the Tavern, take a seat, order a drink, and get ready for chatter!
chrlpolk

Re: Sorcerer, iOS Wizardry Clone

Post by chrlpolk » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:52 am

It is frustrating if you're used to modern comforts. Wizardry 5 used that technique quite a bit - there's a locked door, so shouldn't there be something worth locking it for? The mapping was frustrating for me, I love games with an auto-map that you can bring up anytime.

I'm currently playing Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land on PS2 and having some frustration with the fact that my created party rocks but if I don't add the game's plotline characters to my party then I lose content. What blows is that the plotline characters can't change classes in the traditional way (you have to force them by using items that cause class change) so they're gimped as far as cross-training skills. And there's more than enough of these characters to make your entire party, which I feel is a gimmicky way to get "replayability" by not allowing you all the content in one playthrough.

I believe once you enter that floor
Spoiler
Show
You go into an area of darkness. There is a door in a straight direction from the stairs (I want to say South?), not hidden (other than the darkness), just keep using the bottom move action when you hit a wall. Once you go through that door you will be out of the darkness.
Edit: Aside from my gripe, Tale of the Forsaken Land is turning out to be a decent old-school Wizardry. It almost gets too far into anime graphics for my tastes, the overall plot is bleh, but there are many subplots and sidequests to follow. I'm hooked, gotta finish it - and then there's postgame content!

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:27 am

Yup, found the hacksaw and wheedled the key out of the gatekeeper, so I’m currently exploring B2. Someone keeps replacing the chain, though - I’ll be glad when my mage gets Teleport. ;)

So far I’m doing OK memorizing locations, but soon I’ll have to think of an easy way to save and annotate the map.

This game is really stingy. I’ve explored 3.5 levels and the best thing I’ve found is a halberd!
May the Vishanti guide me through this eldritch maze!

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Visstar wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:27 am
Yup, found the hacksaw and wheedled the key out of the gatekeeper, so I’m currently exploring B2. Someone keeps replacing the chain, though - I’ll be glad when my mage gets Teleport. ;)

So far I’m doing OK memorizing locations, but soon I’ll have to think of an easy way to save and annotate the map.

This game is really stingy. I’ve explored 3.5 levels and the best thing I’ve found is a halberd!
Keep looking! Lower levels of course give better weapons.

Here is a big tip. Once you find a particularly morbid pool (you'll know it):
Spoiler
Show
A pool of blood. One of the swim levels subtracts one point of Constitution in exchange for a small random amount of added HP. The game doesn't auto-register it until after you take another action, so just close the app and restart your away party if you get too small a HP gain, it will be like it didn't happen. (Which means after a good HP gain, make sure you take another action so it keeps it if you close the app!) There is also a decent fight at the bottom of that pool for good XP.

The cheesiest: Have 3 strongly armored characters in the top slot, making sure you have at least 2 casts of Teleport. Create 3 new characters, start them as fighters, put them in the back row with ranged weapons - give them Dex, Con, and try to get enough Piety to class change to a priest. Go to both pools on Level 2 and train all three new characters to swim to their deepest. Use Teleport to go back and forth from town to the bloody pool and fight on the bottom level until your new fighters are level 13, and try to guarantee max Con and at least 11 Piety. Then with nice beefy fighter HP already, use all your Constitution points on that one pool level (I think you become "lost" if you get lower than 2), Use the reset trick to get at least 5 HP per Con point and to undo dead or lost status. Change class to Priest - repeat. On each level-up make sure you get 1 point in Piety and Constitution (hopefully you can get to Refresh on all characters by 13) and get enough Wisdom to change to a Wizard. Repeat the routine, change to Wizards. This time, try to get the stats you'd like for their final class (assuming it isn't Wizard). Finally, create 3 more characters and repeat this entire process.

What you now have is 6 characters with about 200+ HP, all have Refresh and the Map spell.
This will absolutely coast you through most of the game. There is one spot at the end where this becomes a slight disadvantage, but having the major advantage through the game makes it more than worthwhile!