The RPGs of yesteryears, what worked & what didn't.

Enter the Tavern, take a seat, order a drink, and get ready for chatter!
aldube30

Re: The RPGs of yesteryears, what worked & what didn't.

Post by aldube30 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:49 am

In the old Wizardry games 1-5 I would level a Cleric until he mastered all his spells, then switch him into a Samurai, I would also have a Mage that mastered all his spells and switch him into a Lord, I even went as far one time master both Mage & Cleric then switch him into a Ninja (it was quicker than mastering all the spells on a wizard).

In Wizardry 6 & 7 spell points are used (but are divided into 4 elements plus mind & divine for a total of 6 groups). There’s also s lot of spells to learn (a lot) so a Mage could switch into a Samurai and keep on learning Mage’s spells where the Mage left off, as Mage magic is based on Thaumaturgy which doesn’t reset after a class change.
;)

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:33 am

aldube30 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:49 am
In the old Wizardry games 1-5 I would level a Cleric until he mastered all his spells, then switch him into a Samurai, I would also have a Mage that mastered all his spells and switch him into a Lord, I even went as far one time master both Mage & Cleric then switch him into a Ninja (it was quicker than mastering all the spells on a wizard).
I did something similar with Knight of Diamonds on NES. My first ending party was Lord, Samurai, Ninja and 3 Wizards (PC games called them Bishops). -- Technically, my first ending party was the Lord alone because of the endgame, but you get the point!

I had learned all the Cleric and Mage spells for all characters prior to changing to their "final" class. What ended up happening was that the Lord and Samurai didn't use spells except the heal-all and to cure status, and of course map and teleport. Their regular attacks were stronger than some of the higher magic spells and it was usually better to eliminate some enemies than to damage but not kill any. On that note, the Ninja didn't cast during combat - it was strikes every time in hopes of a critical. The 3 Wizards were slow to increase their spell charges.

This wasn't nearly as pleasant as my experience with the first Wizardry game, which I won using more base classes and less cross training - mainly because I was still learning class requirements and just didn't get a Ninja. BTW, when all your characters have Mage training and your Ninja triggers the trap that stones all Mages, because your Ninja isn't a Thief and triggers more often, that just sucks.

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:20 am

What are your feelings on Auto-combat? I like the feature in some games - like the way "Destiny of an Emperor" had the "all in" choice. I like the Silversword quick options, too, although there were some easy combats where even that seemed tedious. On the other end of the spectrum, many iPhone RPG's these days are "idle" games where you have limited choices (dressing characters up in different armors and accessories) and then just turn the gang loose to do their thing. I thought "Soda Dungeon" was fun until I finished the main part of the game and learned how to gimmick the post-game with one particular magic class, then it was just boring because there was nothing left to do except let it auto-run into infinite.

What are some of your favorite ways auto-combat has been implemented, and how to you feel about the "idle" phenomenon?

aldube30

Post by aldube30 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:43 am

Auto-combat? I like the "Charge" option, but 2 or 3 custom programmable macro for the most often used party strategies would be nice. It would be nice to program in a spell or use item for the rear characters that can't reach the enemies.
;)

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:14 pm

I love the Silversword "repeat" command, but dislike the "Charge!" command. Macros would be useful for things where it's just whack at the monster till it dies scenarios: Use "fight, fight, fight, parry parry parry" until X condition is met, that sort of thing.

From what little I've seen, the "idle" phenomenon is just a cheat. It claims to be an RPG but is really just a card game or a dress-up game. Ugh.
May the Vishanti guide me through this eldritch maze!