Gailardia series, iOS, free promotion

Enter the Tavern, take a seat, order a drink, and get ready for chatter!
chrlpolk

Gailardia series, iOS, free promotion

Post by chrlpolk » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:48 am

Gailardia series for iOS free for a limited time! Extremely similar (although not quite a clone) to Dragon Warrior titles on NES.

Gailardia 1
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/gailardia/id430795324

Gailardia 2
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/gailardia-2/id440993831

Gailardia 3
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/gailardia-3/id518547727

Download all three while the promotion lasts, play at your convenience!

Visstar

Re: Gailardia series, iOS, free promotion

Post by Visstar » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:38 am

Thanks! I've never heard of these, but will try them out!
May the Vishanti guide me through this eldritch maze!

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Sat May 02, 2020 4:57 pm

The first one is kinda "meh", just nostalgia trip for the very early Dragon Warrior series. Three pre-set characters, NPC's with mostly lame "advice" on game mechanics or quirky comments not much related to the plot, occasional side quests but fairly linear due to map layout.

Just started the second one, so far it's a huge improvement! Class system lets you customize your party of 4. When you change classes, you lose EVERYTHING about your class, but keep your experience points and become the appropriate level of your new class. It costs gold to change classes, but it ensures plenty of opportunity to experiment without feeling like you've gimped your party and have to start the game over. So far, similar lame NPC's and still fairly linear although I haven't gotten too far into it.

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Mon May 04, 2020 6:56 pm

Just finishing the bonus area of Gailardia 1. Graphics are meh, game mechanics are a bit clunky, and the translations are .... hit or miss. :) But generally pretty good. Looking forward to #2.

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Wed May 06, 2020 7:54 pm

Here's my breakdown of the classes in G2.

Core Classes:

Warrior: Strong and slow, able to use just about all weapons and armor.

Samurai: Similar to Warrior, but less Strength and Defense being traded for much higher Agility (which helps dodging and combat turn order). Can't use as many weapons and armor as the Warrior, but can use some Samurai-only equipment. Main benefit over warrior is that the faster turn in combat can take an enemy out before they can attack.

Magic Swordsman: A Paladin, except with significantly less strength and equipment choice than the Warrior. Stats are only slightly higher than the Monk, although better equipment choices do make a difference. Slowly learns from the Monk magic set.

Monk: Cleric. (Don't even try to go unarmed and unarmored!) Learns magic quickly and has slightly higher Agility compared to others.

Wizard: Your mage of the dark arts! Limited weapons and armor, low HP, but highest agaility other than Samurai.

Elite Classes:

(You can only have 1 in the party. Not one of each, but just one!)

Ninja: Combines Warrior and Samurai, and gives another boost! Highest in all stats (except MP, no magic). All weapons and armor, including the Samurai sets. No instant kills, but in my experience tends to have way more "critical hits" (high damage).

Sage: Combines Monk and Wizard. Quickly learns both sets of magic.

My Party:

After several class changes (cost determined by level), I've landed on (for now):

Ninja - I chose ninja over sage just because of my tendency to hit the "all attack" button in order to reserve MP's. Also, in boss fights, Ninja will be the one I use the "high tension" spell on.

Magic Swordsman - Really, Warrior or Samurai class would be just as good, if not better for higher attack and defense. Just chose this one for the additional heal spells. I imagine it will be useful to have 3 casters of the buff spells later on.

Monk - Have to have healing, no way around it.

Wizard - Kind of a gimped class as most bosses are immune to their offensive magic. However! Saved by three things. First, offensive spells makes grinding easier in new areas where your level and equipment is not quite up to the challenge. Second, wizards get good buff spells to use during boss fights. And last, surprisingly, the Wizard does actually get some light healing spells early on!

Seeing the improvement between the first and second games makes me want to rush through this one to see what waits in G3! But alas, it's an old-school Dragon \Warrior style game, which means there will be grinding involved, so no rushing through here!

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Wed May 06, 2020 10:03 pm

Makes sense, ninja > sage, esp. since you have the magic swordsman. Re. Wizard, I was surprised how little I used offensive magic in G1. In the boss fights, the magic used was exclusively defensive or healing.

When you say "after class changes," do you mean you settled on those four after experimenting, or that those four started as something else originally and wound to as ninja, monk, wizard, and magic swordsman?

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Thu May 07, 2020 12:00 am

Visstar wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:03 pm
When you say "after class changes," do you mean you settled on those four after experimenting, or that those four started as something else originally and wound to as ninja, monk, wizard, and magic swordsman?
Class changing. All 4 characters have the same base stats (you can see that when you start the game, before choosing classes). Adding the class just alters those stats. So changing classes removes the stat changes from the previous class and adds the new class - nothing is gained or lost, there's no benefit, it just allows you to try another class. It's costly, but not prohibitively. The only remorse I had was the thought that gold could have been spent on weapon and armor upgrades and now I'll have to grind again!

They started as Warrior, Samurai, Monk, Sage. Which worked out pretty well! But I was curious what the Ninja would do, and at that time wasn't using offensive magic, so I changed them to Ninja, Samurai (as my warrior wasn't attacking until near the end of the turn), Magic Swordsman and Monk.

Then I hit a difficulty curve! I was getting wiped out and needed to grind gold for better weapons and armor. I realized the offensive magic would be useful. By this time, the Samurai felt "Ninja-lite" and didn't have any utility other than another, less efficient attacker. So I changed to the current configuration of Ninja, Magic Swordsman, Monk and Wizard.

If I were to restart, I would use either the original party configuration or the final. Personally, I prefer the final, only slightly, because the buff spells only last a few rounds and it's useful to have that responsibility split between 3, while having a hastened - er, "high tension" Ninja doing the heavy hitting.

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Thu May 07, 2020 5:53 pm

Thanks chrlpolk. I gave up G1 (*) and started G2 with your config, except I have a warrior rather than a magic swordsman. My thinking was that the warrior would be better at the beginning, and as others got stronger, with better armor, etc., I'd turn him into a magic swordsman. You're definitely right about the benefit of having three casters using buff spells. That seems to be the best strategy in Gailardia. I prefer the combat in Silversword, where offensive magic is (usually) pretty useful. Fighting the demons in G was like fighting shadow stalkers or the grumshakh (sp?) who were magic resistant. Lamia etc. we're not magic resistant, but the offensive spells were just too weak to be worth using.

* — I won the game and found Excalibur and the dagger of light but concluded Quetzalcoatl was not beatable without grinding up an extra 10-20 levels, and it was too boring.

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Fri May 08, 2020 1:15 am

Visstar wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:53 pm
Fighting the demons in G was like fighting shadow stalkers or the grumshakh (sp?) who were magic resistant. Lamia etc. we're not magic resistant, but the offensive spells were just too weak to be worth using.
My biggest issue with offensive spells on bosses in G1 (which occasionally did work), was that I would spend the first 2 rounds buffing, then a round healing, and maybe I'd get in an offensive spell before the first buff spells wore off - but most likely not!
Visstar wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:53 pm
* — I won the game and found Excalibur and the dagger of light but concluded Quetzalcoatl was not beatable without grinding up an extra 10-20 levels, and it was too boring.
After you beat the game, you'll notice that the outside enemy rate becomes erratic. You may get very low level enemies or very high ones! Someone online gave me this tip - go to the forest near the tower south of Colma and cast Amor (to keep away weak enemies). You'll start getting a lot of Silver Bell battles, which will quickly boost your XP.

As for Mr. Q, for all the trouble of beating him you get
Spoiler
Show
Nothing. Absolutely nothing! He just respawns, so you can fight him again - it's just a never ending thing. You did the right thing by moving on!

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Fri May 08, 2020 6:13 pm

Found the bells, went from about level 50 to about 55. Unless my math is faulty, I'd need to get to about 65 before I have enough HP to survive Q. I wasn't willing to do that. 8-)

BTW, I found a monster list for G1 and found that of all the bosses (5 devils, Lamia, and Q) Lamia and Q are worth the least in XP! Weird.

You're right — the most frustrating thing was the buff spells wearing off so fast, and getting separate notifications (text only) for each character as they wear off. An icon would've been better. Basically, casters are only there to protect and heal the warriors in Gailardia.