Not using a rogue

Enter the Tavern, take a seat, order a drink, and get ready for chatter!
grakyar

Not using a rogue

Post by grakyar » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:53 pm

If you're not going to use a rogue, how do you detect secret doors, etc. on a continuous basis?

The open eye spell works for things like stairs. And there's another spell that apparently does it for the one space you're in when you cast it, but doesn't run constantly...

Thanks!

paulos27

Re: Not using a rogue

Post by paulos27 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:47 am

There's a higher level sourcerer spell that lasts forever. I'd recommend keeping the rogue until you get to Savage Crossing or so, then swap him out - it'll mean you can save on casting trapzap for all the chests on lower levels where magic points are at a premium too.

grakyar

Post by grakyar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:52 am

Thanks. I guess you end up changing a conjurer or magician into a sorcerer later on?

I'm already at Savage Crossing, swapped the rogue out awhile ago, but feel like I end up missing secrets (and then I use the forums!)

OBoile

Post by OBoile » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:44 am

grakyar wrote:Thanks. I guess you end up changing a conjurer or magician into a sorcerer later on?

I'm already at Savage Crossing, swapped the rogue out awhile ago, but feel like I end up missing secrets (and then I use the forums!)
Yes, once your casters hit level 13 and have all 7 spell levels you should switch to a new class.

November

Post by November » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:56 am

Incidentally, I've found that my monk disarms chests just fine after a lock pick.
Werdna is dead. I only killed him 2483 times. Long live Pope Teddy and Terrible Jenny!

Nimue

Post by Nimue » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:53 pm

November wrote:Incidentally, I've found that my monk disarms chests just fine after a lock pick.
Don't let the Thieves' Guild hear that ;)

Seriously though, I think that this skill should be limited to Rogues. They already are underpowered compared to the other classes (fewer HP, not much melee damage, critical hits only when sneaking), so they should at least have one distinctive feature.
No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulderblades will seriously cramp his style. --Vlad Taltos

icetear
Site Admin

Post by icetear » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:57 pm

If a lock is picked, no further disarming skill is necessary.
The Disarm skill is automatically applied when trying to avoid traps (new feature with next update) and when failing at forcing/picklocking.

Regards
Mario
Silversword - the CRPG for iPhone+iPad now on the AppStore!
Please visit us on http://www.silversword-rpg.com
iTunes Link: http://itunes.com/apps/silversword

Nimue

Post by Nimue » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks for the clarification!

New feature...? *pricks her ears* Interesting :)
No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulderblades will seriously cramp his style. --Vlad Taltos

November

Post by November » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:30 am

icetear wrote:If a lock is picked, no further disarming skill is necessary.
The Disarm skill is automatically applied when trying to avoid traps (new feature with next update) and when failing at forcing/picklocking.

Regards
Mario
Ummm...does this mean that anybody--even my klutzy barbarian with 3 dexterity and 5 intelligence--can buy a lockpick, use it, and then disarm the chest?
Werdna is dead. I only killed him 2483 times. Long live Pope Teddy and Terrible Jenny!

icetear
Site Admin

Post by icetear » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:45 am

Yes, using a Lockpick will solve the chest word, anybody can use it.
After that you can "Pick Lock" to open it - the word will then be shown completely.

If you have a rogue, the word will be revealed depending on your pick lock skill.

Conclusion: Buying a lockpick is a means to save spell points (TRZP) or to make a rogue useless (here).

Regards
Mario
Silversword - the CRPG for iPhone+iPad now on the AppStore!
Please visit us on http://www.silversword-rpg.com
iTunes Link: http://itunes.com/apps/silversword