Nether spiders

Enter the Tavern, take a seat, order a drink, and get ready for chatter!
docmattic

Nether spiders

Post by docmattic » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:20 pm

I would appreciate some help from Silversword veterans. I ran into a group of 15 Nether Spiders in a secret area in the Ridge Fault. They are big, bad, have hundreds of HPs, stun with every bite, and are entirely immune to magic. I have tried using Farther Foe and hitting them at a distance with ranged weapons, but even with level 28 characters and two Archmages with 600+ spell points each you burn through spell points too fast. Any ideas?

Corellon

Re: Nether spiders

Post by Corellon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:11 pm

Personally I Killed them only with my close-combat characters. I have one warrior, one monk one pal with stoneblade , one hunter (with good crit). My War and monk do High damage

JoeDu

Nether spiders

Post by JoeDu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:35 pm

They aren't immune to hesitate....

Wrmichael

Post by Wrmichael » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:28 am

I need to find this area

Amalasuntha

Post by Amalasuntha » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:29 am

Angel's harp from your bard works, but will need several applications to kill them. Hesitation & killing them off 1 by 1 with your close range melee fighters is probably just as quick. Or use combination, especially as the bard can't seem to strike any decent damage using the silversword or bardsword (I haven't tried him with anything else) against the nether spiders. Well that's what I found worked.

Parsival

Post by Parsival » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 pm

Well, the Angel's Harp does'nt work, no hit :(

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:02 pm

Parsival wrote:Well, the Angel's Harp does'nt work, no hit :(
Nether Spiders are very, very tough when you first encounter them. If they are causing problems, your only real option is to use Farther Foe to push them away, heal wounded characters, and re-enter melee when they advance. Anything you can do to help your melee characters hit harder (Giant Strength) or avoid hits (Invisibility) would be wise.
May the Vishanti guide me through this eldritch maze!

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:16 pm

Postscript: Nether spiders fall five or ten at a time when my monk tears into them with the silversword! :D

I was playing with six characters to earn XP faster, but after the grave mound, I created a warrior specifically to wield the silversword. (Even at level 20, though, her saving throw was too poor to survive inferno, and I left her behind, adding her later and turning her into a dragon caller.) To my surprise, the silversword was usable by my monk, and it was amazing to watch her deal 5-10 critical hits each round.

chrlpolk

Post by chrlpolk » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:02 pm

Visstar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:16 pm
To my surprise, the silversword was usable by my monk, and it was amazing to watch her deal 5-10 critical hits each round.
Really? I never would have thought to try that! Usually, RPG's nerf the monks when it comes to using weapons! Now I'll have to do a replay and give the Monk a shot. Low HP and AC killed it for me on initial attempts, although I do like the addition of linked attacks and was disappointed when I played the BT remakes and the monk didn't have those. Then I was like, "Wait, that's Silversword." :P

Visstar

Post by Visstar » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:46 pm

I believe the Silversword is special (*) in that anyone can use it. I haven't tried everyone, though.

* Special enough to have a whole game named after it....